El Gato Negro Tapas; Valentines Day Date Night Review
*AD – Complimentary meal
I like Valentine’s Day, as it’s an excuse to go out for food and try new restaurants. I’ve been to El Gato Negro Tapas for drinks on a couple of occasion since the Liverpool restaurant opened in the summer of 2019, but I hadn’t eaten at the restaurant, until now
My fiance and I went along to Exchange Flags to eat in the Spanish-influenced restaurant as an early Valentine’s Day meal. We had a table booked for 3pm, starting our day early and in time for a glass of wine!
We’ve been pescatarian for over 12 months now and the menu at El Gato is evenly split with a variety of meat, fish, veggie and vegan dishes which was perfect for us.
Choosing from the menu
Starting with drinks, I fancied a glass of red, so I went for the Pacifico Sur Merlot and Darren chose a Liverpool Organic gin with slimline tonic.
The menu at El Gato is perfectly formed with a great variety, but not an overwhelming amount, so we selected 7 main dishes to try. And because we had eyes bigger than our bellies!
From the aperitif menu, we chose the Deep Fried Monte Enebro Cheese with orange and rosemary honey. Oh wow. Soft creamy cheese with the kick of honey was delicious. Very melt in the mouth and the perfect starting dish.
Choosing three fish and three veg dishes to share we went for the following:
- Chargrilled sweet potato with mango chilli and yogurt dressing
- Patatas bravas with spiced tomato fridata sauce and aioli
- Chargrilled heritage carrots, aubergine puree, miso and walnut pesto with grated Manchego
- Gambas with caramelised onions, roasted red peppers in a garlic sauce
- Crispy fried baby squid with aioli
- Salt cod croquettes, piquilio pepper puree and aioli
No meal is complete in my eyes without dessert to finish. And with the dessert menu being hidden in plain sight on the top right hand corner of the menu, I already knew what I wanted to order…
- Vegan chocolate brownie, butterscotch sauce, chocolate crumble and peanut ice cream – for me
- Mini doughboys with hot chocolate sauce – for my Valentine
Both desserts were divine. I love that the restaurant has such an indulgent vegan option, however the doughnuts were the winners in our eyes. Some were filled with jam, others with chocolate. Each one as morish as the last!
I would definitely reccomend El Gato Negro Tapas as the perfect date night/Valentine’s/Galentines location!