It may be cold and the middle of February but I’ve defo started to think about my summer holiday. I’ve not been on a proper beach holiday in years and after a crazy 12 months full of work, weddings and everything in-between, I’m ready to escape reality for some much needed sun.
So where do I head to? After scouring cheapo holiday websites, Easyjet and stalking amazing beaches on Instagram, we wanna keep costs low and head somewhere short-haul in Europe!
Europe is one of the top destinations where choices range from sunny coastal areas to lush, bustling cities, and rich, verdant countryside. There is always something new to see, great food to taste, a diverse range of culture to experience and history as old as time to learn. But if you’re looking for summertime fun, these European islands might be the perfect destination.
- Sicily – This Mediterranean jewel is sure to fill your senses to overflowing. There are so many things to see such as ancient ruins, historical buildings and monuments, coastal towns and even volcanoes! The food is absolutely divine and the wines are bold, rich and overflowing! Go to Taormina and you will find it to be one of the most exciting towns in the whole island. You can check out online to choose the right accommodation. For example on Wishsicily.com you can find a great choice of villas and apartments to enjoy your holidays in Taormina on the island. It is chock-full of historical sites worth visiting and is just a stone’s throw away from some of the best beach resorts in the whole island. Plus, you can comfortably take daytrips to nearby areas such as Mt. Etna, the Alcantara Gorge, and the Grotta Azzurra. It can get touristy especially in summer but that’s because the place is one of the most enchanting in the whole of Sicily. Nevertheless, you will have the best Sicilian experience in this picture-perfect town!
- Menorca – If you are one who is looking for that holiday destination off-the-beaten-track, then Menorca is the place to choose. Its unspoilt environment boasts of glistening sand and clear, turquoise waters making it the perfect place for sunbathing and swimming. You can find the perfect spots for water activities such as snorkeling and diving in Pregonda. If you are looking for an idyllic spot to do some exploring, you will like the sheltered cove of Cala Macarella.
- Malta – For history buffs who also worship the sun, Malta is the place to be. With 300 days of sunshine, you are sure to love the summertime fun here. You can swim, snorkel, and dive and get to know its 7,000 year old history in the form of prehistoric temples, Roman catacombs, medieval towns, very old stone buildings as well as the artistic and architectural legacy of the Knights of Malta.
- Santorini – Arguably Greece’s most beautiful island, this caldera town with its white-washed buildings perched on cliffs, has a natural beauty that attracts people to its shores. It has the best sunsets that create the perfect setting for romance and adventure. You can go sailing, rock climbing, diving, kayaking and snorkeling. Furthermore, you will love the food and wine.
- Capri – The chic island of Capri, famous for its beauty, has attracted thousands including Roman emperors and Hollywood stars. It has a stunning Mediterranean appeal that combines remarkable piazzas, Roman ruins, rugged seascapes and blue, blue waters that hide mysterious grottoes and coves waiting to be explored.